Sunday, January 01, 2017

I Can't Expect to Avoid Anger & Brooding

Training

I’m thinking of living forever.
I think that way I might finally
get my gig straight and solve the crosswords.
I’m considering outlasting everyone
although I know I’d have a hard time
explaining not having read Ulysses
past the first chapter.
I don’t care if death smells like nutmeg.
I don’t buy the plotline on eternal rest.
By staying alive someday
I might manage to hail a taxi,
and fulfill my father’s wish
of reaching town without a red light.
I couldn’t expect to avoid anger or brooding
or to make the journey with my beasts appeased.
But I might walk vast expanses
of earth and always be beginning
and I love beginning
or could learn 
to love it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While how long you live is (or at least may be) completely up to you, my dear Ms Sloat, I, for one, hope it's as long as you like and that you keep writing for us as long as that may be.

I'm looking forward to the rain in your purse--and all your other fine works--for some (hopefully long) time to come.

Related Posts with Thumbnails